October 16, 2020
Dear Ugpi’ganjig Community Members;
The Ugpi’ganjig Pandemic Response Team has been continuing to assess the current outbreak in Zone 5 and is closely monitoring the evolving situation of COVID-19 cases in our Zone. As of today, we have 48 active cases of COVID-19 in Zone 5 which includes cases that have been identified in (5) schools.
Given the fact that we have been made aware of (3) or more confirmed exposure risks that have been identified by Public Health through contact tracing amongst members of the community and staff and that we are in a state of a Regional Outbreak, the Pandemic Response Team has determined that we will remain in the RED Phase of the Eel River Bar Community Recovery Phases.
As a result of remaining in this phase of the recovery plan, we regret to inform you that, all band operations and projects will be closed for an additional (7) days. The Pandemic Response Team will re-evaluate the risks prior to October 25th and provide further direction on operations moving forward.
Although these decisions are not always easy ones to make, we feel that these measures are necessary in order to continue to protect the community and staff from the spread and risks of COVID-19.
Our team will continue to closely monitor the situation within our area and will provide updates to the community and staff as they become available.
During the closure, all essential services will continue to be delivered; however, this will be done remotely and delivered as follows.
- Band Administration Building: The main phone line will be accessible Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. by calling 684-6277.
- Health Department: The Health Department will issue a separate memo with current updates and decisions.
- Social Assistance: In the case of closure beyond October 16th, Social Assistance payments will be delivered on Wednesday, October 28th @ the regularly scheduled time and place. (Physical Distancing and Face Masks will be required.) Should you have any questions, please contact Susan LaBillois @ 685-0770.
- Child and Family Services: The Child and Family Services Department will issue a separate memo with current updates and decisions.
- Education: The Education Department including pre-school will be closed and reassessed within (7) days.
- Daycare: The Daycare will remain closed and reassessed within (7) days.
- Eel River Bar Gym: The Eel River Bar Gym will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Osprey Truck Stop and Gaming Facility: The Osprey Truck Stop Convenience Store, CRT, Restaurant and Gaming Facility will remain open and under the guidelines of the Province of NB Operational Guidelines unless otherwise directed.
We wish to thank you for your continued support and patience during these uncertain times and assure you that all of our decisions are made with the best interest of your health and safety in mind.
Chief Sacha LaBillois Kennedy