October 12, 2020
Dear Ugpi’ganjig community members,
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend and had time to enjoy good food and family.
With the technical advice of the Ugpi’ganjig Pandemic Response Team, Chief & Council has been following the evolving situation surrounding COVID-19 in our zone. As of today, we have (33) active cases of COVID-19 in Zone 5, which includes confirmed cases in (4) schools.
Given the fact that we have been made aware of (3) confirmed exposures to positive cases identified by public health through contact tracing amongst members of the community and staff, and that we are in a state of a regional outbreak, the pandemic response team and chief and council have determined that we will be transitioning to the RED phase of the Eel River Bar Community Recovery Plan. (Please see attached)
As a result of transitioning to the red phase, our operations also must take additional precautions which include closure of band operations and projects for a minimum of (7) days effective immediately. We will be following the situation closely and will provide an updated memo on October 18 which will identify operational levels going forward.
Please know that we did not make this decision lightly and we have been looking at all perspectives, we feel that it was necessary in order to continue to protect the community and the staff from the spread and risks of COVID-19. We will continue to monitor the situation and always keep best interests of the health and safety of our community in mind with respect to all decisions going forward.
During the next 7 days our operations are as follows:
- Band Administration Building: The main phone line will be accessible Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. by calling 684-6277.
- Health Department: The Health Department will issue a separate memo with current updates and decisions.
- Social Assistance: Social Assistance payments will be delivered on Wednesday, October 14th @ the regularly scheduled time and place. (Physical Distancing and Face Masks will be mandatory.) Should you have any questions, please contact Susan LaBillois @ 685-0770.
- Child and Family Services: The Child and Family Services Department will issue a separate memo with current updates and decisions.
- Education: The Education Department including pre-school will be closed and reassessed within (7) days.
- Daycare: The Daycare will remain closed and reassessed within (7) days.
- Eel River Bar Gym: The Eel River Bar Gym will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Osprey Truck Stop and Gaming Facility: The Osprey Truck Stop Convenience Store, CRT, Restaurant and Gaming Facility will remain open and under the guidelines of the Province of NB Operational Guidelines unless otherwise directed.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we navigate through these uncertain times. We continue to remain diligent and remind you that as the level of risk evolves with this virus we will continue to adapt and adjust accordingly. If we all continue to follow directives, the cases will likely remain isolated and this outbreak will be controlled. As always our priority is the health and safety of all community members.
Let’s take this a day at a time, focus on positivity, and staying happy and healthy. I see some Halloween decorations coming out slowly, let’s keep it going, and rest assured we are working on a plan that involves tricks and treats for our kids!
Chief Sacha LaBillois Kennedy